Raisins are nature's original candy - and one of the world's most nutritious dried fruits. Raisins rank among the top antioxidant foods. Researchers evaluated the antioxidants in equal weights of various fruits and vegetables using a unit of measure called an ORAC (Oxygen Radical Absorbance Capacity). Just 100 grams of raisins provides more than 2,830 ORAC units. For other fruit ORAC ratings.
Below are some of the Health benefits of Raisins :
- Constipation : When ingested, raisins swell as the fibber present in them in dried form absorbs water. This helps giving relief in constipation.
- Weight Gain : Raisins, like all dry fruits, are very good for gaining weight, as they are full of fructose and glucose and give a lot of energy. This is further boosted due to presence of many vitamins, amino acids and minerals which facilitate absorption of other nutrients and proteins in the body.
- Acidosis : Raisins are good source of potassium and magnesium (two of the most popular constituents of antacids, being basic in nature) both of which are very effective in reducing acidity. They neutralize the acids and thus help check acidosis.
- Anaemia : Raisins contain considerable amount of iron which directly helps treating anaemia. It also contains many members of vitamin-B complex which are essential for the formation of blood. Copper in them also help formation of red blood cells.
- Bone Health : While calcium, which is the main constituent of bones, is present in raisins, it is one of the best sources of Boron, a micro nutrient (a nutrient required by the body in very small amount as compared to other nutrients) which is very necessary for proper bone formation and absorption of calcium Eye Care :
Raisins contain polyphenolic phytonutrients which have anti oxidant properties which are very good for ocular health, as they protect eyes from damages caused by free radicals (oxidants), such as macular degeneration. age related weakening of vision, cataract etc. In addition, raisins contain very good amount of vitamin-A, beta carotene and carotenoid, all of which are essential fora good ocular health.
- Dental Care : Oleanolic Acid, one of the phyto chemicals present in raisins, plays a crucial role in protecting teeth against tooth decay, cavities, brittleness of teeth etc. It effectively prevents growth of Streptococcus Mutans and Porphyromonas Gingivitis, two of the species of bacteria which are most responsible for cavities and other dental problems.